I shamelessly watched the entire “Gilmore Girls: A year in the Life” within one sitting and loved it. The only regret associated with my binge was bidding adieu to my beloved show. “Gilmore Girls” served as an integral part of my growth into adulthood since I was introduced to Rory Gilmore in 2000. As a tween I admired Rory’s dismissal of the frivolous and her focus on what she deemed important for a career in journalism. Yet her occasional childish quirks like initially refusing to attend a new private school because she’d met a boy humanized her and made her a realistic role model.
I loved Lorelai because of her independent streak; she reinforced my mother’s advice (minus the teenage pregnancy thing) of the importance of being a liberated woman. Lorelai was also my first adult fashion icon; I was twelve when we were first acquainted so anything that wasn’t purple and glittery really didn’t strike my fancy. However, Lorelai made adult fashion appealing to the tween me. Maybe it’s because her youth transcended the suits skirts she wore to run the inn; she could be playful and whimsical in something I then considered stuffy. It could also be because she wore glittery pink lip gloss. Nevertheless, watching her every week washed away my fear of transitioning from fun clothes into boring grown up things.
Through my binge of the new episodes, I found myself again admiring Lorelai’s style, specifically her purses. She didn’t have many and I especially fixated on two pieces, the Chloe Tan Marcie Satchel Bag and the Alexander McQueen Legend Bag. Every time these purses appeared on screen during the autumn and spring episodes, I stared. Just like that Lorelai Gilmore strengthened another fashion value that I’ve been begrudgingly accustoming my habits to; quality trumps quantity any day. Now I’m not claiming that Lorelai’s mantra is indeed quality over quantity; that’s certainly not the case regarding her food consumption. What I am coming to terms with is that the joy invoked by simply gazing at those two purses on screen surpasses any feelings elicited from a significant portion of my current closet. This fact makes me wish that I had passed a sale or two in order to acquire just one piece that I adore.
I can’t honestly state the frequency in which sales signs have lured me into buying things I don’t need and later realized I don’t want. I found the thrill of chasing the lowest price intoxicating without regard to what my closet required, something that is not unique to me. In fact, a significant portion of us only wear 20% of our entire closet regularly, indicating that most of our closet is not as memorable as Lorelai’s bags. Furthermore it begs the question of what you could have done with money spent on the other 80%. Maybe acquired the stunning purse of your dreams or most likely built a smaller but superior wardrobe. It’s easier said than done though because battling the shopaholic inside requires planning.
I’m happy to declare before the Gilmore Girls Netflix release I’ve managed to fight my urges to purchase items just because they are on sale with the success of acquiring items I LOVE. I currently have a running wish list of the gaps in my closet that I aspire to fill and will only purchase said items. Hence, instead of haphazardly picking up anything and everything on markdown I now have a strategy that has left me more fulfilled. Yes, I’ve walked out of sales empty handed but the resources saved from ignoring sales have been allotted to full priced items that I may have never considered purchasing before. I’ve also come to the realization that when I first spot an item and mull over purchasing it for a significant period of time, anywhere ranging from 1 week to a year, I tend to enjoy it more. Some items have been on my wish list for over a year now but that only motivates me to shop less because I know every dollar saved can go towards what I really want. Lorelai’s purses only strengthened my new belief that when consumed in a patient and controlled manner, fashion can bring so much joy. Yes you’ll have less and your gratification will be delayed. Nonetheless, in the long run it’s unarguably worth it; at least I think so.